|Displaying Inuktitut Syllabics in
In order to display Inuktitut syllabic characters correctly, your browser must have
access to a Unicode font with those characters, such as Pigiarniq, and it must be
told to use that font.
When you can see this:
as this: , then your set up is fine.
So, here are the steps to follow:
- Get the Pigiarniq font and install it on your computer.
- Reload this page. If the font has been properly installed, you should see the characters in red correctly.
This page specifies the font to be used to display the Inuktitut syllabics characters. But in the real world,
it happens very often that the font is not specified. Unless you have told your browser what to do in such a case,
the characters will display as small empty rectangles.
Also, it would be a good idea to tell your browser to
use Pigiarniq for the Canadian Unified Syllabary characters:
- Set your browser to use Pigiarniq for Inuktitut syllabic characters
- Internet Explorer
- Go to this window from the menu: Tools > Internet Options > General > Fonts
- for "Language script", select "Canadian Syllabic"
- for "Webpage font", select "Pigiarniq"
- Click OK.
- Mozilla Firefox
- Go to this window from the menu: Tools > Options > Content > Fonts & Colors
- Click on Advanced...
- for "Fonts for", select "Unified Canadian Syllabary"
- for "Serif" and "Sans-serif", select "Pigiarniq"
- Click OK.
- Google Chrome
- Unfortunately, Chrome does not allow to set the font to be used with the Canadian Syllabary.